Author Interview: Jackie Gamber


Jackie Gamber

Hey Jackie. Thanks for taking the time to do this interview with me. For all those out there that don't know, could you tell us a little bit about your novel Redheart.

Sure, Megan! And thank you for inviting me to talk with you. In Redheart, Kallon Redheart lives with his back turned on his fellow dragons, on humans, and on everything he once understood. Riza Diantus is a young woman with dreams too wide to fit inside her village fence. When danger erupts in Leland Province, Riza is threatened. Kallon is the only one with the power to save her, but to do so he must confront his past and the future he stopped believing in. He must claim his destiny.

The cover of Redheart is beautiful. Did you have any input into the cover art?

I didn’t have any direct input for the art; I did express my desire for the rendition of Kallon to, above all else, not be a serpent-y, pointy, scary kind of dragon. He’s majestic but emotive, and approachable, in his own way. With the art for the inside of the book, Matthew Perry really captured that! And I adore this artistic vision for the cover, as well.

Where did you get your inspiration for Redheart?

The character of Kallon Redheart showed up in a dream, at first. And then I pondered on the mythology of dragons, and how they came to be known as gold-hoarding, maiden-munching monsters. The dragon in my dream wasn’t like that…and the story evolved as a way to shatter that myth.

Redheart is a fantasy based book. Is this the genre you prefer to write in or would there be any other genre you would love to tackle, i.e. Romance, dystopian

I want to try them all! It’s not necessarily as good idea; focus is strength when it comes to writing. But I do have some romantic/science fiction crossover stories, and I have a steampunk idea in mind for an upcoming anthology. I do find that whatever I write tends to fall into a genre category, though, however mixed-up I might do it. I don’t think am a “general fiction” kind of writer.

If Redheart was made into a movie. Who would you like to voice Redheart?

Would you believe my kids and I have had this very discussion? They vote for Vin Diesel. I’m not convinced. The trick is to find an actor who can emote strongly with only his voice and not his face- not so easy! I’d love an accent like Gerard Butler or Christian Bale, but I also like the sound of Donald Faison’s voice ( he’s done voice acting in other movies and I’m impressed).


Your write reviews for English Tea Store.com based on classic fiction and fantasy novels. Are these the sort of books you like reading yourself? If so can you name some of your favourites.

I absolutely devour science fiction and fantasy, and the urbanish -crossover types that seem like a new development, but have really been around since H.G. Wells (Think “War of the Worlds”). Top of the lists favourites: “A Christmas Carol”, “Frankenstein”, “The Midwich Cuckoos”. I could go on!


When I think of Dragon's it makes me think of TV series Merlin which I love, I also love sci-fi programmes and films such as Doctor Who, Independence Day etc. You like to write and review fantasy/ sci-fi books but are you interested in any watching Sci-fi/fantasy films/movies? If so what are some of your favourites.

Hey, even a bad science fiction film is better than no science fiction film on a Friday night! I love genre movies. I especially like science fiction/action like the ones Will Smith does. I’m also a Dr. Who fan (Donna Noble was my favourite companion), and there’s precious little of BBC science fiction offerings I wouldn’t watch. One of the wittiest, sarcastically amazing shows I’ve recently watched is “HyperDrive” with Nick Frost and Miranda Hart. More episodes, please!

If you could pick any book in he world to have written what would it be and why?

That’s a tricky question! If I had written it, it would be filtered through me, and wouldn’t be the book it is! But. If I could write it and it stay exactly the same, I would like to have claimed “Frankenstein” as my own. Utterly brilliant in character development, premise, and ultimate design.

What was your favourite book as a child/ teenager?

I still have the book “The Digging-est Dog” by Al Perkins, tattered and threadbare on my bookshelf. I don’t touch it much anymore, I’m afraid it will disintegrate in my hands. Also, “My Father’s Dragon” by Ruth Stiles Gannon, and “The Frightened Forest” by Ann Turnbull. Those books are old, old friends.



Do you have any advise for aspiring writers?

Learn all you can about how to tell a good story, and practise, practise, practise. Write for reasons only you understand.

Finally as mentioned above you write for English Tea Store.com, placing a good book with a good brew. What sort of tea would we read with Redheart?

I know the perfect tea, I picked it myself! It’s Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon- be sure to add a little honey and cream. It’s a solid tea, like my solid fantasy, with just the right cinnamon candy sting , like dragon breath. You can check out my other BookTastings on my website www.jackiegamber.com

*Jackie Gamber is an award-winning freelance editor, as well as award-winning author of the fantasy novel, Redheart, available now through Seventh Star Press ( www.seventhstarpess.com ) and ebook at a special rate of $1.99! A veteran of the USAF, she is now, among other things, a rosarian, a professional BookTaster, and avid believer in imagination. Visit Jackie and her BookTastings on the world wide web at www.jackiegamber.com *

Redheart is one of my May reads. Look out for a review of Redheart, later this month!

Megan :)

1 comment

  1. Great interview I had Jackie on my blog as well which was great. You asked her some great questions, wish I hate thought of some these.

    ReplyDelete