YA Feature: Levi Stack




The Author: Levi Stack


I’m a debut author who lives in the mountains outside San Diego. At twenty-one, my love of historical epics and fantasy led me to plan The Card Game Series, which I’m now working to complete. In my free time, I have many nerdy hobbies, like chess, juggling, reading, and, of course, writing.
 

Writing
 
Somewhere in the depths of a business class at the University of San Diego, I decided to become a writer. Now deciding to flip your career plan on its head during a single moment of epiphany isn’t exactly stable ground, but in a way, the decision was a long time coming. I’d spent much of my childhood digging into stories, and in my teen years, I became even more obsessed over my favorite books. After leaving USD, it took me six months to plan The Card Game series. I think it was time well spent. My first book, The Silent Deal, won ‘Outstanding Fiction’ at the Southern California Writers Conference. I haven’t looked back since.

The Book: The Silent Deal
 
Inline image 2
 
When Viktor and Romulus, two peasant boys, dig too deep into their town’s strange past, they awaken the wrath of a mysterious overlord. As the blood brothers struggle to survive, their search for answers takes them through gambling parlors, bare-knuckle boxing matches, and dark forests full of wild animals and men alike. But even with the help of their friends, can they escape the deathly experiments their foe is creating in Staryi Castle?
 
Enter the bold lands of the Russian Empire where the colorful characters of The Card Game dwell, from the fortune-tellers and fire-jugglers of the Romani Gypsies, to the dangerous criminals that make up the Thieves World, the predecessor of the Russian Mafia. A perilous journey awaits…
 
 
 
Can you describe your protagonists Viktor and Romulus in less than 140 characters each?
 
 
 
Viktor is a serf tortured by violent events he witnessed as a child. He thinks he’s doomed to never understand his town’s secrets, but then he meets Romulus, an orphan who lives in the forest. Romulus befriends wolves and builds explosives, brooding over the day when he can take revenge. Together, they get in way over their heads.
 
 
 If you could encourage anyone to pick up The Silent Deal what would you say?
 
 
 
It’s an adventure you won’t want to miss. Gypsies in graveyards, madmen in castles, thieves lurking on all sides – what’s not to like?
 
 
Bookie Questions:
 
 
Favourite genre and why?
 
I love historical fiction and fantasy, mainly because it lets you escape to other worlds and times.
 
Favourite YA author and why?
 
I do love how Leigh Bardugo’s Grisha Trilogy pulls its culture from the Russian Empire.
 
Debut author/ upcoming author we should check out?
 
W.A. Fulkerson. He writes great fantasy.
 
Favourite 2012 read and why?
 
The Maze Runner. It’s a plot that clicks along incredibly quickly.
 
A book series you love and why?
 
Harry Potter, of course. I’m someone who obsesses over plot structures, and that’s about as complex of a web as you can create.

No comments