Author Interview: Robin Leigh Morgan ( I Kissed a Ghost)

Today I have an interview with author Robin Leigh Morgan who debuted her first YA novel I kissed at ghost at the end of last year. Enjoy the interview and leave a commen or two for the author below on your thoughts on the book!


The Author- Robin Leigh Morgan

I’m a retired civil servant, married with no children. We’ve got two cats. My first YA novel, A YA Paranormal/Time Travel/First Kiss romance entitled “I Kissed a Ghost” got released on December 20, 2012


How you got into writing?

From June 1995 until June 2006 I wrote over 450 commentary type items for a community newspaper. Along the way I decided to see if I could write something else. I didn’t own a computer back then, but I did have access to one where I wrote my commentaries, and it was on this computer I wrote about two pages a week. Once I got my computer I began to write what I wanted to be a contemporary romance with a paranormal element running through, but I never seemed to get the sense it would be good enough to be read by someone else. Eventually, someone suggested I write for a younger audience, which how I came to write my debut novel, a YA [Young Adult] Paranormal/Time Travel/First Kiss romance entitled, “I Kissed a Ghost.”


Can you tell us about your first YA book, “I Kissed A Ghost”?

I Kissed a Ghost
 

In the book, Mary gets a new classmate named Jonathan who’s a great baseball player and to get on the team, he needs Mary’s help to improve his grades. Six months later when she learns she’s moving, she decides to give him something special--a first kiss.


Moving into her new home she soon discovers it has a ghost named George, her age, who takes her on numerous trips to the past of a hundred years ago. As she meets children her own age, everyone teases her about her house being haunted, but no one will go inside.

Mary likes his help doing her math homework, writing her reports, and taking her back in time. George and Mary’s interaction grows and she eventually gives him a quick peck on his lips while they’re in the past, which is the only place George is a real boy, for having done something special for her.

In an attempt to get her classmates/friends to be willing to come inside her house, she has a Halloween party designed to confuse them as to what is real and what is not.

Can Mary kiss George a second time, at the special date and time he needs to be kissed? What happens afterwards if she does? The answers are all in the book!

Can you describe your protagonist Mary in less than 140 characters?

She's a sweet, plain looking girl who wants to be accepted by others for who she is; not because of the way she looks or how smart she is


How did the idea of the story come to you?


To tell the truth the whole story has been one of pure imagination, as I wrote it, I saw different ways of letting the story develop, and chose one which I felt could be built upon. In the beginning I did have a skeleton of an outline for the storyline and nothing more.

How did you come up with the title for your book?

Selecting a title for a book had been a very challenging experience for me; but after racking my brain over it, I decided to merely summarize the premise for the entire story in as few words as possible until I had something which could be used as the title for my book. Hence, since the story is about a girl [Mary] and her kissing the ghost [George] she had living in her house; the story had to be called, “I Kissed a Ghost.”

Are you a plotter or a pantser?

I’d probably say a little of both. As I said in the above, I made a skeleton of an outside, writing down the basic plot points I’d like to hit as the story unfolded; and as a sculptor starting with a wire base of what they’d like to have, I added material, then took some away, until I had the finished product I had in mind.

If you could encourage anyone to pick up “I Kissed a Ghost” what would you say?

One the thing I’d be sure to mention is the number of genres the book can be placed into, as it is a YA Paranormal/Time Travel/First Kiss romance novel and would therefore appeal to a very wide audience. Even though my book had been intended to be read by Young Adults, according to the review it received on Amazon and GoodReads that it would also appeal to pre-teen readers, yet enjoyable to all age groups.


Do you have another book in the works?
As I’ve stated in the above I had started to write a contemporary romance but never completed writing it. Now with my debut YA novel self-published I’ve return to writing the romance manuscript I had started many years ago, and approaching it anew with the knowledge I’ve gained along the way in writing “I Kissed a Ghost.” The reason I’m doing this is relatively simple, I’ve always felt somewhat incomplete not having completed something I once had started out to do, and I now want to fill the void it has created in my life.


Bookie Questions:


What is your favourite genre and why?

I actually don’t have one. When I worked I had little time to read, especially when I had to commute almost two hours a day. After I retired, I finally had time to start what I hope will be a successful second career as an author.

Do you have a favourite YA author who you admire and why?
I’d have to say it’s J.K.Rowling. Given where she came from, she’s made a remarkable achievement having written such an enormous series of book, each of which has been quite long in its own right.


Buy the book:


Amazon

It is also available on Amazon.co.uk Amazon.de Amazon.es Amazon.fr Amazon.it

If you’d like to check out some UNEDITED SNIPPETS from the book, you can do so under the category of “GHOSTLY WHISPERS” on any of my blog sites, where I’d love to hear your comments:


http://www.mypennameonly.blogspot.com
http://www.mypennameonly.wordpress.com or
http://www.mypennameonly.webs.com [my website/blog] http://www.mypennameonly.tumblr.com

Stalk the author:

Facebook

Twitter

1 comment

  1. The KINDLE VERSION of my 1st YA Paranormal/Time Travel/First Kiss romance novel, “I Kissed a Ghost” is now available http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CRQ9SC6

    ReplyDelete