Interview: Mary Gray

Today I have author Mary Gray on the blog. Mary Gray releases her YA debut novel, Dollhouse Asylum in October this year though the awesome Spencer Hill Press. Enjoy the interview and don't forgot to leave your thoughts on Dollhouse Asylum!
 
The Author: Mary Gray

I live in Fort Worth, TX and spend my days tending my three small children. I moved thirteen times before hitting college and I'm a huge Supernatural and Vampire Diaries fan.

 



Writing

I always loved writing, but my parents never really encouraged it much. It actually took reading Twilight to think, "Hey, I'm going to write that book." "That book" isn't something I would show anyone now, but was a great crash course on learning how to write


 
The Book: Dollhouse Asylum (Released October 2013 by Spencer Hill Press

After writing my first manuscript, I couldn't get this villain/love interest out of my head: hot, broody, and eloquent, and I knew I shouldn't like him. At the time, I was living in Virginia and desperately wanted to move to TX, so I wrote a story about a girl in a subdivision in the middle of nowhere somewhere in Texas trapped by this man. In the beginning, I had a lot of red herrings, plot wise, but that initial concept always stuck. And I got to move to Texas, which really came in handy for filming the book trailer.
 
Blurb:
 

The Dollhouse AsylumA virus that had once been contained has returned, and soon no place will be left untouched by its destruction. But when Cheyenne wakes up in Elysian Fields--a subdivision cut off from the world and its monster-creating virus--she is thrilled to have a chance at survival.

At first, Elysian Fields,with its beautiful houses and manicured lawns, is perfect. Teo Richardson, the older man who stole Cheyenne's heart, built it so they could be together. But when Teo tells Cheyenne there are tests that she and seven other couples must pass to be worthy of salvation, Cheyenne begins to question the perfection of his world.

The people they were before are gone. Cheyenne is now "Persephone," and each couple has been re-named to reflect the most tragic romances ever told. Everyone is fighting to pass the test, to remain in Elysian Fields. Teo dresses them up, tells them when to move and how to act, and in order to pass the test, they must play along.

If they play it right, then they'll be safe.

But if they play it wrong, they'll die
 
 
 

How does it feel to be releasing your debut novel, Dollhouse Asylum, fall 2013?

I'm so excited for it! I couldn't ask for a better cover (designed by the amazingly talented Jeremy West) and my editor couldn't be a better fit. She helped me shape this story into something that someone would want to read. My former agent, Kat Salazar of Larsen-Pomada literary agents saw something in my writing, and Danielle (my editor) helped me take it to a whole new level. I really am excited to see the physical book book resting on my book shelf, though I am terrified of autographing others' copies (my handwriting is really bad).


 

Can you describe your protangnist, Cheyenne in lesss than 140 Characters?



She has a quiet power, and possesses a loyal, fierce love to a fault. She loves classic romances, and can get swept away into romantic gestures, yet has the punch of a contemporary voice.


 

If you could encourage anyone to pick up Dollhouse Asylum when it releases in fall 2013, what would you say?



A terrifying question! I want to answer it right! I suppose I would say it's my heart ripped open and spilled on the page. The terror and misguided allegiance is something I've felt very real in my life. It's fast paced, with a few kissing scenes I'm not so sure my mother would like, but it made me jump my husband's bones, so that's good, right?


 

Bookie Questions:

 

Favourite genre and why?



Dark YA! Or at least YA that isn't light. My favorite authors  all tell haunting or broody tales: Neal Shusterman's UNWIND, R.L. LaFever's GRAVE MERCY, and Carrie Ryan's THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH. I look for sweeping prose with a chilling plot, something that makes me turn page after page even after I should sleep. Something that makes my heart pound in my chest, and deep, unique feeling love. That's what I like. :)


 
Debut author/ upcoming author we should check out?

Danielle Ellison's FOLLOW ME THROUGH DARKNESS (out spring of 2014) is AMAZING. The romance? SO good. Our writing styles are similar--literary yet commercial and fast paced plot. Look for this one. I can't wait for it to come out!

 



Favourite 2012 read and why?

GRAVE MERCY all the way. I mean, assassin nuns? What's not to like. But the prose, and the past paced tome was something I didn't expect, and the romance had me salivating. Also, the protagonist felt both relatable and mature.

 


A book series you love and why?
 

I love Carrie Ryan's THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH and it's companion novels, THE DEAD TOSSED WAVES and THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES. I'm honestly terrible about finishing series' since I've found I always like the first book best, but I fell in love with Ryan's chilling writing style that I HAD to read each book. I love the darkness yet it doesn't feel evil, you know? I feel like horror as a genre is hard to get right (as far as my tastes are, anyway). I like the subtle stuff with a bit of punch. I don't need constant, meaningless graphic violence, but I do like a gritty tale with characters that I absolutely must get to know. Ryans' books did that for me.

 
 
 
@MaryGrayTweets

www.marygraybooks.com
 
 
 
What are you thoughts on Dollhouse Asylum? Leave a comment below. I am excited for Dollhouse Asylum!

1 comment

  1. I'm very excited for dollhouse asylum!!! On my goodreads!!!

    ReplyDelete