Review: Vala: Angendas by J.F Jenkins

 
 

Book: Vala: Angendas
Author: J.F Jenkins
Publisher: Astraea Press
Pages: 266
Received paperback for review as part of tour

Blurb:
 
 Cheyenne Loveless was just a boring sixteen-year-old girl. Then Denver Collins bit her and

everything changed. Her plants start talking to her, she finds out she’s a Nymph, and a witch and the angel of death show up at her doorstep to take her away to the prestigious Vala School and Seminary. Oh, and she has no choice in the matter.

All she wants to do is blend in and return to being invisible, but the more time that passes, the harder that becomes. Plus she’s a daughter of the Divine, an exclusive secret society which rules the world of myth, and discovers she is a key ingredient to an ancient covenant created before she was born. A covenant that will reshape the order of the world.
Adjusting to a new school is difficult enough, but adding on everyone else’s hidden agendas is the icing on the cake. Cheyenne must learn to see through the lies in order to find her place — and possibly even love — in this new world.
 
 

I was happy when author J.F Jenkins contacted me and asked me to organise a tour for Vala: Angendas as I really liked the sound of the book. Vala: Angendas follows main protagonist Cheyenne Loveless who is a normal sixteen year girl.  She is quite shy and doesn't have many friends . Everything changes when she meets dark, handsome and broody Denver Collins. Every time she sees Devner she gets butterflies. She some how ends up at a new teen club that has opened and Denver approaches her and asks her to step outside with him. He then bites her. And from there everything changes.
 
I was a little annoyed when I first starting reading Vala as she just lets him bite her, even though she doesn't know he is going to, it just felt a little strange and unrealistic regarding the character, as she is shy and just basically the way it happened felt wrong. I was a little unsure of the book after the first few pages but I am glad I keep reading as the story really picked up and I couldn't put it down after the initial issues I had.
 
I really liked when Cheyenne went to Vala, the boarding school for people with "special skills", as it turns out Cheyenee is adopted, a decedent of Persephone and can talk to plants, it turns out she is a Nymph. There she becomes friends with a group of popular kids and finds herself on the other end of the popularity scale from loner to popular which is a bit of a shock to her. I really liked the twins Zes and Anj who are some of Cheyenee's new friends. They where total opposites and there "skills" intrigued me. I also liked that there is a love triangle between Zes, Cheyenne and Denver (as it turns out he attends the boarding school) I am not sure who I want her to be with but Zes is a little ahead of Denver.
 
It was great that there where alot of supernaturals in Vala: Angendas and not just your typical vampires and werewolves, we have nymphs, descendants of mythical creatures, witches, and an angel of death. I also really liked learning about the mythology of the creatures, there is of course Greek mythology in it which I am starting to really enjoy reading about.
 
Overall I enjoyed Vala: Angendas. There where great characters, a good storyline and lots of mystery which I liked. I can't to find out what happens next!

3.5/5 STARS


Buy the book:


Stalk the author:

Twitter:
@jfjenkinstweets






No comments