YA 2013 Debut Event: Interview with author of Perfection, J.L. Spelbring (May Release)

 
 
Today we have author J.L. Spelbring on the blog! J.L releases her debut novel, Perfection in May via the awesome Spencer Hill Press! Enjoy the interview and leave a comment and let me know what you think of Perfection!



The Author- J.L Spelbring

PerfectionHmm? Me? All about me! I live in the wonderful state of Texas. Everything people say about Texans being proud of their state is true. LOL!!! I have a wonderful daughter, two sons, and an awe-inspiring granddaughter. My degree is in Psychology--I sprinkled some concepts in PERFECTION. Also, I enjoy long walks along the beach and quiet evenings curled on the couch with a good book. LOL!


Writing
 
Since my early twenties (we don't need to discuss how long ago that was), I wanted to write a book. About six years ago, I sat down in front of my computer and did it. My poor first manuscript is still on my memory stick begging to be revisited. I've learned so much since then.

 



The Book: Perfection
 
Like most books, PERFECTION is based on a 'what if' concept. In this case--What if the Nazis won the war? What would happen if Aryan ideology came to be? 
 
Blurb:

The personification of Aryan purity, Ellyssa's spent her whole life under her creator's strict training and guidance; her purpose is to eradicate inferior beings. She was genetically engineered to be the perfect soldier: strong, intelligent, unemotional, and telepathic.

Only Ellyssa isn't perfect.

Ellyssa feels emotions--a fact she's spent her life concealing. Until she encounters the epitome of inferiority: a dark-haired boy raised among renegades hiding since the Nazis won the war a century ago. He speaks to her telepathically, pushing thoughts into her mind, despite the impossibility of such a substandard person having psychic abilities.

But he does.

His unspoken words and visions of a place she's never visited make Ellyssa question her creator. Confused and afraid her secret will be discovered, Ellyssa runs away, embarking on a journey where she discovers there is more to her than perfection.
 
 
 
 
 

How does it feel to be releasing your debut novel, May 2013?
 
 
 
It still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. Writing is a long, hard road, but definitely worth the struggle.


Can you describe you protangnist Ellyssa in less than 140 characters?
 
 

Ellyssa is a genetically engineered female, who struggles between what her creator bred her to be and what she really is.

 



What would you say to encourage anyone to pick up Perfection when it releases in May?
 
 
 
 
What? And not grovel? LOL! I would say if you like a your dystopian with a little science fiction, a little paranormal, and the discovery of first love, then PERFECTION is for you.

 




Bookie Questions
 
Favourite genre and why?
 
 
 
Urban fantasy. I really enjoy reading about life intertwined with fantasy. Gets my creative juices flowing.

 


Favourite YA author and why?
 

 
 That is impossible to answer. There are so many authors who have weaved intriguingly, beautiful stories. For instance, I could put down the names of all my publishing brothers and sisters. I've had the great fortune of reading their books and they are all wonderful.  



Debut author/upcoming author you would reccommend my readers check out?

 
 
A.E. Rought's BROKEN. A.E. has a knack for building a tangible world with her mere words.

 
Favourite 2012 read and why?
 
 
 
 
CLOCKWORK PRINCE (which was actually released Dec. 2011, I think). I just love the world Cassandra Clare built with all the fantasy elements mixed with some steampunk.

 
A book series you love and why?


The Infernal Devices. Same reason as above.


Stalk the author:

Blogs: http://jlspelbring.blogspot.com/  and http://oasisforya.blogspot.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/jlspelbring

Author page: http://www.site.spencerhillpress.com/Judy_Spelbring.html


 

1 comment