YA Feature: Jade M Phillps author of Mer!


 
This week's YA author is Jade M. Phillips who debuted her YA novel in January. Enjoy the interview and leave a comment below for Jade!


The Author: Jade M. Phillips 

I grew up in the Arizona sun where I still reside and as long as I can remember I’ve always loved diving into a good book and coming up with stories of my own. But alongside my obsession with reading and writing books, I have also been an actress, a stunt woman (trained to fall off of tall buildings and do other scary things,) a dance teacher, bartender, the lead singer and back-up guitarist in a rock band, amongst a plethora of other fun and low-paying jobs. I now have my degree in interior design and own a small business. I love my friends and family dearly and enjoy spending time with them. I am also very well known for setting off the smoke detector in our house weekly by cooking/burning dinner. I have two adorable children, an extremely wonderful husband, who is very supportive of my writing and chokes down his “dinner” without complaint, and a crazy cat named Willian Wallace Braveheart Fuzzy MacFarland the Third.

When did you begin writing?

I began writing when I was in grade school. I was probably eleven.

Writing: How you got into writing?

My best friend, who I’d grown up with, was really into reading and writing poetry. She broke my heart and moved to Las Vegas. I would visit her over summer break every year and we would waste away the hot days by writing poetry and short stories.

The Book- Mer by Jade M Phillps

MER

My debut novel, MER (volume 1), is the first in a young adult fantasy series. . And let me tell you, this book has a secret. I am going to give you some VIP information by telling you this… but if you couldn’t already tell by the title, its secret is Merpeople. You should read MER, because it is fresh and different. It’s a totally new twist on young adult fantasy series and I would recommend it to anyone of any age. It has a great mixture of adventure, magic, love, violence, mystery and suspense.
 
In a land where the sea grows restless, the summer breeze turns to ice and sleet, and Mother Nature has plans of another sort, dark and supernatural forces begin to unfold, fighting to unite the broken prophecy. In the midst of a tangled web lie the Castlecrays, a family with deep tragedy and mysterious secrets, who are torn apart and forced on a treacherous journey.
 
Coming from a time when kings rule the realm, knights fight for honor, and eminence is power, the children of Castlecray are thrown into an unknown magical ambiance where nothing is as it seems, and bedtime stories come alive right before their eyes. Sweeping from a land of severe and savage seas to the sparkling underwater spires of a magical unknown world, this is a tale of lords and ladies, knights and nobility, traitors and trolls, who are all intertwined in a weaving maze of conspiracy and deception.
 
Amidst gallantry and guilt, love and loss, the Castlecrays find their fate to be in the hands of their enemies, of each other, and of their new mysterious allies, the Wavekeepers—all vying to keep the balance between good and evil, land and sea, in a fight for the ultimate desire; the power of MER.
 
 

Some bookie questions:


Favourite YA book and why?

I will admit it. I’m a huge Harry Potter fan. I love the magically whimsical element in the stories, and the characters are so unique.

Favourite YA author and why?

J.K. Rowling is great. She just knows how to catch your attention with her amazing writing skills and keep it. (Until like four in the morning! Haha!)

Debut author/ upcoming author we should check out?

Well, this author has been around a little while, but is going to take the literary world by storm! Her name is Laini Taylor, and I can’t say enough good things about her. She’s brilliant!

Favourite 2012 read and why?

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor was my absolute favorite read in 2012. Laini has an extremely unique way of writing; her words are like beautiful brush strokes that paint a masterpiece right before your eyes! I gave this book FIVE stars in my review of it because it is one of the best young adult fantasy/science fiction books I have ever read!

A Book series you love and why?

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin is one of my favorite fantasy/fiction series. It is also an amazing HBO TV series called The Game of Thrones. Not only is George R.R. Martin a brilliant writer, he is an amazing historian as well. His art of war and love and all things medieval is so true to the period, but he does it in a fictional world all of his own creation. His characters are to die for, literally! Love, love, love it!



Buy MER on Amazon

Stalk the author:
Blog


Mer's Facebook fanpage


Twitter




No comments