U.S. Virtual Road Trip- Washington


Today we are with Blogger Candace @ Candace's Book Blog who resides in Washington. Lets see what awaits us in Washington.

Places to visit in Washington

Washington is so full of places to visit it's hard to really sit down and list them all. In the Seattle area you have Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, the Puget Sound, the aquarium and so much more. My favorite things to visit though are the beautiful parks, which you find everywhere. I also love to go to the different farms where you can pick your own food, mostly berries. 

Another favorite is visiting the lakes. In the northern Cascades there are lakes that are fed by glaciers and are a beautiful blue green. They are too cold to swim in, but you couldn't find a more beautiful place. The mountains all around are also stunning. If you're a hiker, there's enough trails to keep you busy for a lifetime. 


We are also a place of many waterfalls. Along any creek in the mountains you can find waterfalls. One of the biggest and most beautiful is Snoqualmie Falls. I'm in southern Washington so I have found some beautiful ones along the Lewis River.

I live near the Columbia River so one of my favorite things is to walk along the river. I can see Mount Hood (which is in Oregon) and the mountains and it's stunning. 



We can't leave out the Olympic peninsula either. We have the stunning ocean views along the coast and the rainforest just in from the coast. Have you watched Twilight? Well, it's set on the Olympic Peninsula!


There are just so many places so I have to stop now, but I have lived here for 15 years and there's still MUCH more I haven't seen. 

Places to eat in Washington

I went back and lived in South Dakota for a summer 10 years ago. When we got back out here the first place we went was Burgerville. Burgerville is fast food, but it's high quality fast food. And they have a special sauce that I think every one loves. They are also environmentally conscious.  McMenamins is more of an Oregon thing, but since I live just across the river we have several McMenamins restaurants here. BEST veggie burger I've had. EVER. 

Quirky things about your Washington

Washington is home to the largest slug in North America. Yes, I hate our slugs. Petrified wood is the state gem. We hold the longest accessible beach in the U.S., Longbeach. Our cows produce more milk than any cows from other states. (We're good to our animals here.) Seattle sells more sunglasses per capita than any other city in the U.S. AND Seattle gets less rainfall than Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans and several other cities. So no, it doesn't rain here ALL THE TIME. Just come in the summer and you'll be good.  (All information found randomly online, it's possible someone lied or something, but I'm pretty sure these are accurate.)

Famous people from your Washington (Not including authors)

Kurt Cobain was from Washington. That's the one that pops into my head. I'm sure there are lots of rockstars from Seattle though.

Authors or books set in your state

I already mentioned this, but Twilight takes place here. There are a ton of great authors, Kate Dyer-Seeley and Lisa Jackson both live in the same town as me. Marissa Meyer and Kimberly Derting both live here. There are loads more than that though.

Note from Candace
I actually run a travel blog (though I'm not always good about keeping up with it regularly) so you can see a lot of pictures and hear about more places to visit there.
Candace's Travel 

Connect with Candace: Website /@candacemom2two/ Facebook

What do you think of Washington? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

Follow the road trip posts here

5 comments

  1. Thanks so much for having me on, it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never given Washington a thought before! Thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know Twilight was at the Olympic Peninsula.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love living in the North West with you Candace!

    ReplyDelete