Childrens Book Event: Childhood favourites

 
We all have are favourite books as a child don't we! Children's books are some of the greatest books out their with many amazing childrens authors. So I thought I would ask some authors their favourite childrens book from their younger days!
 
I loved a book called 'Gabby' about a little furball creature who was seperated from her family. Wish I could remember the author but it had beautiful illustrations. I think I still have it lying around here somwhere. Alexia Purdy YA Urban Fantasy, Horror & Poetic Writer
 
I was so all over the place when I read, one of my favorites though was this set of Winnie The Pooh books that a relative got me. It was a set of mini-books, each with a short story. I would sit and read them for hours, one after the other. Amanda from letterinsideout.net
 

I would be impossible to pick just one. Some of my major influences would include Richard Scarry, Dr Seuss, Professor Branestawm, Roald Dahl, Ted Hughes’ The Iron Man, The Hardy Boys, Willard Price, Tom Sawyer, Watership Down, The Lord of the Rings, Jules Verne, Stephen King, and comics by the likes of Alan Moore, Pat Mills and Frank Miller. But I’ve probably left out loads of really, really important ones. You can find a whole article on my childhood reading at: http://www.oisinmcgann.com/extras/articles/childhoodreading.html

 
So many… though we had few picture books. I ve just tracked down and ordered Jade Tales, by Micheline Maurel and Annick Delhumeau, which I remember from my childhood. Its gorgeous! Very beautiful drawings. I cant wait to get my hands on it. I loved and still love Dick Brunas Miffy drawings, and the Moomins by Tove Jansson. Later Enid Blyton absorbed me completely, and the William books by Richmal CromptonChildrens author and Illustrator Mary Murphy


Gees, that’s hard. Honestly though, it was an anthology collection of Disney story books written to coincide with their animated movies. I’m dating myself here, but this was before videotapes were so easily purchased. So we would listen to records of the movies, and flip through a picture book that coincided with the recording. To me, it was heaven. My ultimate favorite was‘Sleeping Beauty’ because her dress was the prettiest and you got to meet the Prince. Author Anne Tibbets

My favourite book as a child was undoubtedly Treasure Island . I distinctly remember the first time I picked it up: it was about four times longer than any book I’d read up to that and, horror of horrors, it had no pictures. I gave it a go, fully expecting to be outing it down after a few pages and by the end of Chapter 1 I was totally hooked. The narrative kept driving me forward and soon I was immersed in the world of the pirates, forgetting completely about the book’s size and lack of illustrations. Even now, Treasure Island is still one of my ‘comfort reads’. I mean, come on: pirates, adventure, swashing and buckling, fights; what’s not to like. Author of The Third Pig Dectictive Agency Bob Burke
 
 
 


Oh, definitely WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE. Something about those
terrible roars was just awesome.
Victoria Scott is a YA writer represented by Laurie McLean. Her debut book will be, THE COLLECTOR: A DANTE WALKER NOVEL (Entangled Teen, March 2013). Victoria has a master's degree in marketing, and lives in Dallas with her husband. When not writing, she can be found grubbing on cotton candy and snuggling obese cats. You can cyber-stalk Victoria online on her
website or on Twitter.

My favourite book as a child is…… ‘’The Hobbit’’ Childrens Author Joe O'Brien

Matilda by Roald Dahl, It was just so twisted and irreverent. That awful teacher and those awful parents made the ending so so satisfying. I might read it again today. Author Annabel Monaghan

I don't think I ever had only one. I loved Bandes Dessinées (French comics and graphic novels) and read all of Asterix several times over. I was a fan of George's Marvellous Medicine (by Roald Dahl) and the Nicholas books (by Sempé and Goscinny, the Asterix duo again!). Later, I had a horsey phase and I obsessed over the Flicka series by Mary O'Hara. Children's author Juliette Saumande

I had some lovely picturebooks- Caroline's Party, which was the story of a little girl and a lot of very hip jazz-playing cats, and The Rainbow Tales, a collection of stories featuring a tiny boy with multi- coloured hair. Author & Ilustrator Marie Louise Fitzpatrick


I loved everything written by Roald Dahl, but a favourite was "The BFG". It was the first real novel I remember reading. It totally captured my imagination with the descriptions of the giants. Wendy Murdoch one of my local libraians

Head over to author Melissa Groelings blog to check out her answer to her fave childhood read http://melissagroeling.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/second-week-of-childrens-book-event.html


 
So are some of you favourites up here! Let me know what your favourite book from your childhood was in the comments below!

If you have missed any of the Children Book Event posts you can check them out by clicking the banner along the top of the blog, there is great posts and great giveaways!




 





 







 
 
 

 
 

3 comments

  1. I had to think really hard about this one, but my very favorite was To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. Many may not consider it a children's book, and I was probably ten or eleven when I read it, but I could identify with Scout so well. The book is so amazing and affirmed so many of the things I was discovering about people and life - both the good and the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child of course I love Dr. Seuss, but my favorite that I read over and over and over again was Black Beauty. I still get tears when I think of Black Beauty and Merrylegs in the pasture after all was said and done. I still have that same book, old and ragged, on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its great to see what everyone read as kids.I read alot of Roald Dahl books.

    ReplyDelete